Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Weeknight Dinner: Jim Lahey's No-Knead Stirato (Italian baguette) and Poached Salmon


 Jim Lahey's Stirato

Peter Reinhart opened my eyes with no-knead long fermentation techniques. I produced great loaves with his recipes and techniques from Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day, The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread, and especially Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor. I would never thought of 100% whole wheat artisan bread before. But now, whole wheat Ciabbatta is gonna be a staple in this house.
 
I love Peter Reinhart's recipes, but at the same time I'd like to explore more into this no-knead bread techniques. I heard of Jim Lahey before, and I decided to borrow his book from the library. Currently I'm reading his My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method and today I baked four small loaves of Stirato (Italian Baguette) from that book. The verdict: Wow!

 Jim Lahey's Stirato
 

While I followed the list of ingredients to the T, I had to make some tweaks to the techniques due to time constraint and limited baking material.

*The recipe calls for leaving the dough in room temperature for 12-18 hours, but that time frame wouldn't work for me. This is what I did:
  • At 8pm, I mixed the dough and place it in the fridge, 
  • at 11.30pm took it out of the fridge and left it in room temperature until about 4pm next day. 
  • I then shaped the dough, and let it rise for 45 minutes before baking,
*The recipe also calls for the usage of clay bread baker/Rometoph French bread baker. I don't have the clay bread baker, so I just bake the bread uncovered on a pizza stone.

*I also put an ice cube in the oven after placing the dough in there. I read somewhere that the ice cubes help to create the steam in the oven which help to produce a crusty bread. The bread turned out real crusty, maybe I should ditch it next time ;-)

Even with all the changes I made, the breads still tasted fantastic. They  actually produced bigger holes than Peter Reinhart's Pain a l'ancienne I tried before. I think it might have to do with the long fermentation in room temperature rather than in the refrigerator. I'm just guessing though with facts out of my ass. Anyway...I can't wait to experiment more with Jim Lahey's recipes.


Simple Poached Salmon with Simple Tomato and Vegetable Sauce
For dinner tonight, we had the bread with Simple Poached Salmon and Simple Tomato Vegetable Sauce. I made far more sauces relative to the salmon. Why? Because we needed to eat enough veggies for the day and I was to lazy to fix salad. I also made a sandwich version for this dish by basically forked the salmon into flakes and combined them with the veggies. This bread is perfect for sandwich because it's not dense and you don't need to stretch your mouth too wide to eat it. It's just lovely.


Sandwich-Version of Simple Poached Salmon with Simple Tomato and Vegetable Sauce

Next on the list is Stecca (Jim Lahey's more popular stick baguette)


Links to recipes mentioned in this post:
Jim Lahey's Stirato (Italian Baguette)
Simple Poached Salmon with Simple Tomato Vegetable Sauce

Submitted to YeastSpotting!

7 comments:

  1. T,

    Wow the bread looks great! And no-knead some more!

    12-18 hours surely is a long time but if doing it your way, I guess it wouldn't feel that long.

    * Hmm.. nak cuba la. Hish.. suma yang saya tengok pon, nak cuba kan? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam...Alamakkkkk...bila je tengok roti ni, terussss rasa lapo...nape ekkk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aida:
    Try la... senang jer. Tak pun try Peter Reinhart's version. At least that one letak dough dalam fridge overnight & only take it out 2 hours before baking.

    Sue:
    I pulak tengok semua benda pun lapo :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking baguettes- they look a lot better than the ones I made last week- yours have a great crumb. Evidently your method worked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! They do indeed look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. TupperCooks!,
    I really think long fermentation in room-temperature really helps to create that nice crumbs. Because I tried Peter Reinhart's recipe where you put it in the fridge overnight, though they produced uneven holes, they were not as big as Jim Lahey's recipes/methods.

    Thanks hobby baker,you should try making this too.

    I am advocating long fermentation no-knead method to everyone. Really, even if they don't look good, they taste good. I can never get over whole chewy crust and custard-like inside. Yumm... besides, these kinda recipes require much less yeast, sugar, and work than regular bread recipe. So, even if you fail, you don't waste to much energy on it. What are you waiting for,go ahead try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. as a matter of fact, I just took a batch out of the oven a moment ago. For that batch, I used 50% whole wheat flour and liquid from boiling malfatti(naked ravioli).

    ReplyDelete